Wednesday, June 25, 2008

A brief introduction

It was December....
I think it was 2006. I ended up taking a road trip all around New York State, traveling to a whole bunch of cities, and mainly staying with friends, with one hotel stay in Oneonta which is where I went to college. Because my friends were so graciously putting me up for the night I made them tour posters for what i referred to as the "Liz is Not a Rock Star NY State Tour" posters. One of the posters was based on an Ani DiFranco album cover, another involved Zebra stripes for certain college friend who is crazy about animal prints (among other things) and there were multiple others tailored to the person/family I was making them for. (I like to draw, and I like to draw things for people even more.)

Thus with the creation of the posters, and the naming of the adventure- Not A Rock A Star tours began.

If you tour like a rock star you stay in hotels and spend money like crazy and miss out on little things.
I prefer to tour like me, and like many other people I know. I like to stay with friends or family or camp out. I like to listen to mix CDs or the local radio. I like to take the time to appreciate the people, and see the sights that seem most worth it to me. It's about individual taste. While I'm sure there are times when my individual taste meshes nicely with the culture at large (I have been referred to as a pop culture princess, and seriously contemplated forming a team with a friend for VH1's world series of pop culture), I also know there are times when it doesn't. So as much as my friend Jeff thinks otherwise, Liz is Not a Rock Star, and so her tours get a whole other name and flavor to them.

This blog is a document of those travels, broken up into little tour stops along the way.

No comments: