Saturday, July 5, 2008

7/1/08 Michigan, Indiana, Illinois (chicago), & Wisc.

Chapter 6: In which Ria and Liz come to understand exactly how perfect their timing is for this trip.
We slept well at Meg & Dre's. I think this may have been the best I slept the whole trip. I spent the first part of the morning drawing Meg's tour poster. It took a long time, but I got a lot of thinking done. The drawing came out nicely, and it seemed very Meg to me. I had to trace the Celtic knotwork from a book, but it was worth it.
Dre woke up first and said she would be working from home. It was the anniversary of a very sad event for Meg, and that was why Dre stayed home. I was very glad that Ria and I happened to be there on that day. Somehow the company of friends can make things a little easier.
Meg and Ria woke up about the time i was finishing my drawing and we had a relaxed morning.
Meg made healthy veggie egg scrambles which were amazing.
I took pictures. I did finally get some Dre pictures, and an O'malley picture too.....
but don't be fooled by the cute sleeping dog. He was HYPER most of the day before, and had managed to do this to me accidentally on that day.
This morning however, O'Malley was patient enough to let me draw, and I was firm enough to get him to mind. After I finished drawing O'Malley and I had a good long game of tug-of-war with a rope which I let him keep winning.
After brunch we chatted and didn't want to leave. Come to think of it I'm pretty sure it was this morning we went through the old pictures from Hartwick.
We left close to noon I think. There were lots of hugs, and we left with the idea that we both would be in better contact with Miss Meg in the future wherever it may bring her too.

We then headed for Chicago, and the Taste of Chicago event.
It was held in grant park alongside lake Michigan. Where Buckingham Fountain is. I had fabulous corn on the cob, Chicago Pizza, and later chocolate strawberries, and Ria and I joked we were doing a US tour of Chocolate.
We also rode the ferris wheel and got a number of shots of Chicago skyline off the ferris wheel.

Ria and I also got pictures of each other on the ferris wheel, and this is one of my favorite pictures of me.

Then I saw Joss Stone. While we were walking about we saw her on the giant TV screen, but I wandered in to catch her live, and saw her perform "Fell in Love with boy."

(far away Joss)

After Joss we left Taste of Chicago and drove through the business district.

Ria continued to be our fabulous city driver, although Chicago was not as bad as NYC
With the help of Tomtom she got us to the UU church that Frank Lloyd Wright built

We did not see the inside as it was rather late in the day, but we did see it.

We then headed for a campsite in Illinois. We arrived at 1010 and the gates closed at 10pm. Thus we drove onto Beloit, Wisconsin and stayed at an EconoLodge. We tried to go to the bar and flirt with baseball players, but the smoke was too much for Ria. This was all the best as I was pretty darn tired.

No comments: