Wednesday, June 17, 2009

5/26/09 Liz's surprise extra vegas day.

So Tuesday was my surprise extra vegas day. I had brekfast with my parents and then since i had a surprise extra vegas day I decided I would see a show.
I really enjoy Cirque du Soleil, and I've only ever seen them once in person, so they my first choice. I wandered to the half price tickets place and got tickets for Mystere which is the Cirque show that has been running the longest on the strip.
After getting the tickets I spent the rest of the day walking the strip back to TI where the show was and seeing hotels I hadn't seen prior to that.
I went to the Bellagio.
This is the ceiling inside the lobby.
The Bellagio also won my heart over with a giant sunflower ferris wheel. I did not go on, but admired it from afar. On the other side of this garden were some indoor hot air balloon replicas. However the main reason I went to the Bellagio was I heard they had a chocolate waterfall. Again visions of Charlie and the Chocolate factory sprang to my head. It was not quite that grand, but still mass quantities of dripping chocolate is quite a sight to see.
From their I wandered back up the strip seeing some rather unsurprising vegas sights
Like statues commemerating Sigfriend and Roy, and some unexpected
This little mediation shrine to Brahma I believe was in between the Bellagio and Ceasars palace as one was walking. I stopped to look and meditate for a moment.
It was quite unexpected in a town where there are certain sections where the street is littered with cards with women topless. Vegas has a lot of variety and I think they are still working on making it work.
Oh and on Tuesday President Obama was in town. He was giving a speech at the convention center, and people were commenting on how Vegas had been hurt by the presidents comments about CEO's taking flights to Vegas on private jets. I would have loved to have seen the president, but I was too busy trying to get to Cirque du Soleil. Still I had to walk through protesters. Primarily they were protesting Harry Reid, and Democrats in general, but there was some Obama protesting as well.
I walked by TV crews near the protestors. They weren't especially rowdy protesters, and I figure wherever the president goes there are probably protestors. Most were upset about the ecomnomy, which I can understand, but personally I think it is a little early for the railing against what Obama has done, as at the time it hadn't even been 6 months in, and the problem is kind of enourmous. However I appreciate people exercising free speech even when I don't agree with them.

I have no pictures from Mystere. Cameras were not allowed. It was a good show, but I was a little wanr out and I think nodded off into my own dreamland a couple of times. On the way back I got to see the Mirage's "volcano" show which is fire and water and lights every hour at night.
I pretty much crashed when I got back as walking the Vegas strip made for a long day.

No comments: